May 24, 2011

BabyFree

When Tim wrote in my tenth grade yearbook (looking back on it I don’t know how it wasn’t obvious that we would end up getting married a decade later when he started his message with the romantic greeting “Wasssuppp?!”), he signed off as “BabyFree”, with Tim in parenthesis. I realize now that the BabyFree nickname comes from him being the youngest in his family, but was this something that people at school actually called him? Was he trying to make a new nickname stick (like making fetch happen – name that movie)? Either way, I appreciate the irony in the fact that now the two of us will be having a BabyFree of our own together.  

Of all the milestones I’ve hit, I’m pretty sure I can say this is the only one that has really made me feel different.  Graduating high school, graduating college, getting married – check, check, check – but after the hype of each event wore off I pretty much felt the same as before (is that insensitive, particularly about being married? Probably). I ended up finding out I was pregnant simply because I felt different (not sick or anything, just different), and turns out I knew before there were any physical signs of it. Since then I’ve gotten to experience a little bit of the sickness and other minor pains characteristic of the first trimester. Cleary there will be a lot more changes to come, the biggest of which will be having an actual baby to show for it when all is said and done.  Yikes. 

I don’t have much ambition as a blogger, but since we have family and friends that live far away I thought I might try to keep some of them updated on important (or not so important) pregnancy happenings.  At the very least you can expect the inevitable stories about Tim saying/doing the exact things that would come up if you googled “things to never, ever say/do to your pregnant wife.”

Oh yeah I should probably include some actual important facts. Right now I’m in the 13th week, with a due date of December 2. We had an ultrasound and heard the heartbeat at eight weeks, with everything measuring and sounding as it should.  Here is the eight week sonogram picture:


I think it looks like a blob, but others have said they can see a definite baby (yet another thing that probably makes me insensitive). And no I did not add that cursor to point to the obvious baby/blob smack dab in the middle, that is compliments of the sonographer. At the 12 week appointment we also got to hear the heartbeat. When the doctor started searching for it with the Doppler we didn’t hear anything right away, then finally she moved the monitor down lower on my stomach and there it was. So apparently the baby is sitting pretty low right now. For those of you who believe pregnancy wives’ tales, carrying low means a boy. For those of you who believe in science, carrying low still means it’s a tossup.  We should be finding out in about two months either way!

2 comments:

K Scully said...

Mean Girls.

Leah said...

Rita! I heart babyfree.